This one-day course provides students with the fundamental knowledge to create excavation plans, deal with emergencies and ensure safety on the worksite while meeting the requirements of the BC Occupational Health and Safety Regulation.
You should take this course if you:
- Are a utility or public works worker, or a contractor, site owner or employer responsible for staff who conduct excavation work.
- Want to earn CEU credits that can be applied to water or wastewater systems continuing education requirements.
You will be asked to complete a knowledge assessment when you register to give the course facilitator an understanding of your acquired knowledge to date.
Upon completing the Excavation Safety course, you will be able to:
- Identify and understand the relevant legislation and regulations pertaining to underground utility location in the province of British Columbia.
- Identify the potential hazards associated with various utilities.
- Understand your responsibility to contact BC One Call to obtain utility location information.
- Understand the essential reporting requirements for utility contacts.
- Describe the general emergency response requirement for utility strikes.
- Identify the specific limits of approach and locate requirements for several utilities.
- Identify best utility location and excavator practices.
- Identify the best practices for planning and pre-job meetings prior to the start of excavator activities, and apply your knowledge to make an excavation safe for entry using shoring, sloping and benching.
This course provides:
- 0.6 core CEUs for small wastewater systems, small water systems, wastewater collection, and water distribution (SWWS, SWS, WWC & WD) EOCP certifications.
- Related CEUs for wastewater treatment and water treatment (WWT & WT) EOCP certifications.
This course is offered in two formats:
- A classroom environment using interactive elements and real-life situations in order to make your learning experience as interesting and relevant as possible
- Custom training at your worksite. If your workplace would like to offer the course to several employees, please contact us to see if a customized program at your worksite would be a better solution for you!
|In-class||$299 member / $399 non-member|
|Custom training||From $169 per student, depending on class size. Contact us for details!|
Upcoming Excavation Safety Courses
||Click on any Register Now button or link (you will need to know the start date of the course you're registering for).|
|Email, fax or mail:|
Please contact the BCWWA office and we would be happy to help.